Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Feeding Tommy (may be TMI)



I'm not sure if I like our pediatrician.  I'm going to look into getting a new one.  She makes me feel badly about breast feeding or not... and she says contradictory things about when and how Tommy should be eating.  He's gaining weight and not losing, but she says he's not gaining enough.  Though when the difference of what he gained versus what she wants him to gain is 2oz and he can eat or poop out 2oz easily I don't know how accurate his "weight gain" really is.  

I'm trying to make sure he is eating more often and not over feeding him, but she made me feel very badly about how I've been doing feeding him so far.

His last two feedings were entirely breast feeding no bottle at all, but because of that I don't know how much food he actually got, I don't know whether to celebrate that the breast feeding is coming along or dispair that he isn't getting enough to eat.  

It also takes him about an hour and a half from the start of his feeding until he is done.  The dr. said I should cut him off at 40 mins max but then what if he isn't getting enough and loses weight?  

On the one hand he is suposed to eat every three hours (from the time he started eating) so if he starts at 12 and finishes at 1:30 I have to wake him again at 3 to feed him) and that is assuming he goes right to sleep at 1:30 when he is done eating which he doesn't (especially at night) Then when I wake him after only an hour and a half of sleep he isn't all that hungry or he's cranky that I woke him.  

On the other hand if I cut him off at 40 mins it gives me and him more time between feedings to sleep, but if he isn't full he will fuss and not go to sleep either, and I risk him not gaining weight. 

I just called Lowell General and scheduled an apointment with a lactation consultant. 

What did people ever do before?  :P

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Chill, daughter. You, Tommy and Pete are doing fine. Love you.